Greyhounds as Pets of Northeast Florida Inc. is a nonprofit corporation which provides a unique opportunity to adopt and enjoy the loving companionship of this versatile breed as a pet.
The adoption program is funded primarily by the Jacksonville Racing Circuit and the Kennels that race there. Greyhound owners, trainers, vendors and private individuals donate additional supplies and time.
The ownership of a greyhound, like any pet, is a serious responsibility that requires a long term commitment. It is the goal of Greyhounds as Pets of Northeast Florida to be sure that this responsibility is met in the greyhound’s new home.
• Fill out the online application and e-mail it to us.
• When we receive your application we will review it and then contact you, to answer any questions you may have and talk to you about the adoption process.
• We will set up an appointment for you to come to our Adoption Center.
• When you come to the Adoption Center, we will show you all of the greyhounds available for adoption, tell you about their different personalities and explain how to care for them and get them adjusted to your home. You can spend time with the greyhounds you may be interested in adopting, take them for a walk and play with them in our fenced, grassed area.
• Before our greyhounds go home, they are spayed/neutered, have had their teeth cleaned, are current on all vaccinations, and have had full physicals which include heartworm, fecal tests, and blood tests. A six-month supply of Sentinel is provided. Our adoption fee is $290.00.
• Our Adoption Center is located at 2600 5th Street West, Jacksonville, FL 32254.
• We do not have set open hours; however, we will schedule appointments for you to come and visit with us and our greyhounds.
• Appointments can be made Monday through Saturday; please contact us by e-mail or phone to set up an appointment. Even if you are not ready to adopt a greyhound, you can set up an appointment to stop by and visit our facility and, of course, our greyhounds.
• Our Adoption Center is a heated and air-conditioned facility. Inside we have office space, kitchen, and a walk-in shower for bathing. Each greyhound has its own individual space complete with soft bedding.
• Outside we have large pens and a fenced in grass area for play. We have a greyhound store where you can purchase greyhound (martingale) collars, leashes, coats, grooming supplies and raised feeders.
• Boarding is available at our Adoption Center for your greyhound.
• The cost is $20.00 per day.
• A bath, toenail trim and ear cleaning is available with boarding for an additional $10.00.
• Our Adoption Center is open 365 days a year for drop off and pick up.
• The drop off and pick up times are 8-10 am, 3-4 pm and 8-9 pm.
• We suggest that you bring your greyhound’s food to keep them on their regular diet. We do not have refrigeration available for special diets.
• Any medicines your greyhound may be taking will be administered.
• Please make your boarding reservations early, especially for the holidays as we have limited space for boarding.
• Baths are available at the Adoption Center.
• For a $15 fee your greyhound will be bathed, toenails trimmed and ears cleaned.
• Grooming is available Monday through Saturday.
• Please contact us to set up an appointment.
Pictures and Bios of Available Greyhounds
Greyhounds available for adoption. You can also check out our page onGreyhound-data.
*Note - not all of the available dogs are in the adoption kennel. So, please let GAP know which dog(s) you'd like to meet so that they can make sure they get them to the adoption kennel prior to your appointment. (-Stacy, GAP volunteer)
Jack's Big Drama (Tori)
Jack's Big Drama (Tori). (Adoption Pending)Tori is a 3 1/2 year old, black and white female. She has white socks, like her daddy. Tori is a sweet, friendly girl.
“He is a wonderful companion and has made himself right at home in our family. In all honesty, his transition went far better than we ever imagined, and he is truly a blessing to have. He is completely patient with our two young sons and has found the cat to be quite tolerable. He sleeps in our bed at night and follows me from room to room. He has developed a fondness for stuffed animals and carries them from place to place or gives them a little lick of love.
“Thank you so much for all of your help with this adoption. This experience has turned out to be lovely and we look forward to many, many years with him in our home.”
Have A Quick Question?
Thank you for contacting us.
We will get back to you as soon as possible
Oops, there was an error sending your message.
Please try again later.